Friday, November 19, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness: Wife Edition

Today, I am thankful for my beautiful wife! (Actually, every day I'm thankful, but that's beside the point.) There are many reasons of course (newest reason: skinny jeans), but I had my iPod on shuffle the other day and this song came on, and every time I hear it, I think about how grateful I am for her to be willing to marry me fifteen years ago, or however long ago it was.

It's kind of a strange thought, because the song itself is about a person who is dying (note: I'm not dying; or at least I hope not) and is reflecting upon their life fondly, but wistfully. Or at least that's how I interpret it. The part which resonates with me the most is the 'chorus,' if you can call it that, because it makes me think about how I need to always remember to tell her how much she means to me. It's very short, and very simple, which not only describes me perfectly, but gets right to the point:

Did I say that I need you?
Did I say that I want you?
Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool you see,
No one knows this more than me
As I come clean

Not even kidding, that line gets me choked up every time. Granted, I am a big sack of sappiness, but still. Sometimes it's hard for me to express any emotion, and it can be easier when someone else does it for me. So thanks Eddie Vedder (and Pearl Jam), for writing something that I could see myself saying when I'm dying of old age in the year 2100. Here's the whole song (which, by the way, is called 'Just Breathe,' if you'd like to give it a listen):

Yes, I understand that every life must end, ah
As we sit alone, I know someday we must go, ah
Oh I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands
the ones I love...
Some folks just have one,
yeah, others, they've got none, ah

Stay with me...
Let's just breathe.

Practiced are my sins, never gonna let me win, ah
Under everything, just another human being, ah
Yeah, I don't wanna hurt, there's so much in this world
to make me believe...

Stay with me...
You're all I see.

Did I say that I need you?
Did I say that I want you?
Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool you see,
No one knows this more than me.
As I come clean.

I wonder every day as I look upon your face, ah
Everything you gave and nothing you would take, ah

Nothing you would take
Everything you gave...

Did I say that I need you?
Oh, did I say that I want you?
Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool you see,
No one knows this more than me.
As I come clean, ah

Nothing you would take...
Everything you gave.
Love you till I die...
Meet you on the other side.

(Side note: I am 99% sure Kelly hates this song...which is hilarious to me.)

1 comment:

Patti said...

Nelson Nelson Nelson - so happy you are in our family - - you are such a great guy!!

You must write...you must write...you must write....

Patti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...