Monday, February 1, 2010

Moral Dilemma

Okay, so couponing (that's a word, right??) has caused a serious moral dilemma for me. Yes, I have this big high when I go to the grocery store and see the "amount saved" part of the receipt. It makes me feel awesome! But, here's confession #1:

For the last 2 weeks, we have been eating crap.

I take that back.

We have been eating like SHIT.

Yes, this is usually a family friendly blog. But, I have to use that word. It's that bad.

So, couponing (spellchecker is saying that's not a word, but I'm sticking with it) has been going well. In a sense. I have been looking in store ads for deals. I have been finding coupons on top of those deals. I have been getting things dirt-cheap and finding amazing bargains. I have planned my meals around these thing too.

The meals are not the problem. Not really. I can talk myself into thinking that the meals have been healthy. They are certainly not total junk. They contain vegetables, are not high fat, etc.

However, very few of the ingredients have been organic.

I know, I know, what's the big deal right?? The big deal is, that is not the norm in our house. And I miss it. And my body totally knows the difference. (this is not the eating like s*** that I referred to. I'll get to that) My conscience feels terrible. I have been buying what is cheapest, rather than what is healthiest or best for the planet.

There is nothing wrong with buying foods that are not organic. Fruits and vegetables, meats, pastas, all of that is good for you.

But we deserve better. All of us. The PLANET deserves better. Because in all honesty, most of the food, even the healthy stuff, in our grocery stores is almost an insult to the true foods. I bought oranges, because they were on sale. They were fine. I ate them. They're good for me, I liked them. But, they had a serious lack of taste.

I would like to mention that my grandmother would tell me at this point, that this is all in my head. Maybe she's right.

However, I remember the first time I tasted an organic oranges. Mmmmm. So juicy and full of flavor! And organic peaches. And grapes....oooohhh organic grapes. If you haven't had organic grapes, go to a farmer's market next year and ask to taste them. More money, but sooooo worth it. And farmers will let you taste for free.

Anyway, I feel guilty for not buying organic. Not that I always by everything organic all the time, especially not meat or cheese. I justify that by how expensive they are. I usually buy organic produce and dry goods. We always buy organic milk. Often yogurt. And cereal. And Miss Kalaya has never had anything that isn't organic.

I'm ready to quit couponing.

Here is why: I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL.

Seriously.

Besides eating so many non-organic items the last 2 week, I ate: An entire bag of Doritos (in 2 days), 2 boxes of Cheeze-Its, 2 bags of Kettle Chips, 2 boxes of Chewy granola bars, and 2 boxes of rice-a-roni. No wonder I've been constipated. TMI, but it has to be said. But, I had coupons. Those items were cheap.

Now, there is nothing wrong with eating those foods. They're not going to kill you. (technically....) Healthy people eat those things all the time. In moderation, they are just fine.

But, I'm better than that.

YOU are better than that. And we're worth so much more than the processed crap (s***) that our country passes off as food. And, unfortunately, it's hard to find coupons for the good, healthy, planet-friendly food we should be eating. Even if I stopped buying that junk food, I can still do better.

You know why the best foods are expensive? Not enough demand. The stores will get rid of that crap they sell, McDonald's will switch to outdoor, free-range, grass fed cattle for their burgers and corn will stop dominating our diet when we demand it. It's basic marketing.

So, even though I'm just one person (well, I shop for 3 people and a dog. Yes, Pippy eats organic dog food only), I'm going to keep doing my part to increase demand. Oh, I can still watch for sales and coupons for the foods I like and try to get good deals. But the truth is, I spent about the same amount on our regular foods as I do when I shop at our favorite store. So, back to Trader Joe's it is. No coupons, but consistent prices. And no brand names to confuse me. Natural ingredients. ORGANIC ingredients. And much, much, MUCH more time going to farmer's markets. Mmmmm.....

Oh, and I'm ready to make the switch to all organic meats. We don't buy pork or beef already. But, I'm ready to eat organic chicken and turkey too. I'm going to start buying meat at Whole Foods when it's on sale and storing it. We only eat it 2-3 times a week anyway.

I'm going back to the goal I made for myself when I got pregnant:

Eat to nourish your body. Not to fill it up.

Because we're all worth it.

(and I'll let you know if it's really that big of a difference in money spent!)

PS I will still occasionally allow myself Doritos or other junk. The Super Bowl is this Sunday after all. But, my stomach will remind me why I shouldn't not too long after......

PPS If you think it's not worth the extra money, go read Fast Food Nation. Or The Omnivore's Dilemma. Or watch Food Inc. Or King Corn. PLEASE

2 comments:

Patti said...

Well, favorite niece, well said!! I read in The Oregonian last weekend (on-line version) about all of the Farmer's Markets in PDX and I salivated....may have to eventually relocate there just for them :)
I buy as much organic out here as I can - a lot of the Safeway Organic brand - and, they may be schmoozing that brand - - but, in the middle of cowboy country it's next to impossible to find organic meat albeit our local IGA does now carry organic beef from Fossil, OR - even if it wasn't organic I'd buy it because it's from eastern OR. I do eat beef and pork - not a lot, but eat it - and had the absolutely best organic rib roast from Fossil for Christmas dinner - but it cost a whoppin' amount - but worth if for several reasons. Anyway, I learn from you - and, I am grateful. Thank you!!

Bon Bon Mom said...

Remember, it doesn't bother me how anyone else lives their life, this is just what is working for us!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...